Friday, February 26, 2010

Batteries 2


Now, with the brand new batteries in the cart all I had to do was reverse the procedure from yesterday. Of course this meant I had to run the batteries down to the dinghy, put them on the dock, lift them into the dinghy, motor out to the boat, lift them up on to the boat, over the cockpit and down into their hole. Once there, connect up all of the wires. No problem. On about the 4th battery, with sweat going into my eyes, I was wondering about the sanity of living on a boat. Each of these 6 volt golf cart batteries weigh around 63lbs and today was one of those rare warm and humid days. Now, the batteries had to be hooked up with both series and parallel connections to produce the required voltage and amperage. I of course, couldn’t have a simple hook up, no, I also had added to this wiring mess a temperature probe and another set of battery cables so that the starting battery could charge with the house batteries.
I even made a wiring schematic that is drawn onto the cover to the battery box just in case (as old age sets in) I start to forget where all those wires go. Finally, with a bit of cleaning up the battery hatch was closed and the cockpit grates went back into place. Turning the main switch on gave us the sound of the radio and the hum of the fridge as those little electrons again ran down the wires to do their work for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment