Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bugs


One of the great things about being out on the hook is the lack of any bugs. Seldom do you see a mosquito or fly. Well, that all came to an end last night when the wind died away and the no-seeum came out for dinner. Being from the north I had never dealt with this flying set of teeth. Even though I have camped and hiked many places I had never been eaten up by something that I could barely see. They are nothing but a black speck that you could easily confuse for a bit of dirt until you feel that BITE! About the size of a large grain of salt these pint size pests will drive you crazy. The worst thing is that you have to close up the boat just when you want everything as wide open as possible to catch every stray breeze. Here is a picture I took of one of these winged piranhas as it settled on my leg for his evening meal. (Just to give you an idea of their size). The next day, Anna and I were covered with small welts from our dinner guests.

3 comments:

  1. Just wait for the biting flies, you can see them but they do hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have heard, although I haven't a great deal of confirmation (other than "being there/feeling it") that when the no-see-um lands it's JAWS ARE OPEN and it lands MOUTH FIRST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. growing up in Naples I have first hand knowledge, they never bite when you live there its when you go down to visit they attack!! somehow they know I live up north now & I am always on the menu!! ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete