Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Painting


If nothing else in paradise there’s always work to do on the boat. Today’s project is to paint the top of the Biminy before the solar panels arrive and touch up the deck paint. I had been touching up the bad areas on the biminy for the last few days and yesterday I sanded the entire top in preparation for today’s paint job. This morning, I took a tack rag to the top and got out the paint. As it turned out, it was really difficult to paint the top of the biminy.
You see, you have to roll on a coat of paint and then tip the surface off with a brush before the surface of the paint begins to take its initial set and stops flowing. Normally this takes about 2-5 minutes (depending on the temperature and the wind. Today, it was down to about 45 sec. A bright sun and a strong wind were working against me. I didn’t get the beautiful smooth paint job that I had hoped for but, it is all white and looks a lot better than it did. Next… the solar panels!

2 comments:

  1. Just to make you feel better, it was snowing this morning. I am really feeling SORRY that you are having to do all that time consuming painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny, you just can't imagine how dificult it is to have to work with these tropical breezes blowing around you and to contend with this sunny blue sky. I'm glad that you feel my pain.

    ReplyDelete