Thursday, March 18, 2010

Re-cutting a sail


The mizzen sail had to be trimmed back along the foot of the sail so as to raise the end of the boom about 4 inches. The hardest part is getting the nerve to cut up a good sail! Anna helped me mark the line on the sail that had to be trimmed. I slowly ripped the seams apart and then cut the bottom off from the sail. Then, with her help, I sewed on the new bottom edge of the sail. The new bottom corner of the sail didn’t have a hole in it any more to attach the sail to the boom with, so, I had to cut a hole in and sew a ring into place. Then I pound a brass inner ring into place to take up the strains that will be placed on the sail. I will have a whole series of pictures to show this process on the site in a few days.

2 comments:

  1. now you are cruising! self supporting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super nice job Rich. Looks like it was done by a sail maker!

    Ken P.

    ReplyDelete