Thursday, March 18, 2010

Unintended consequences


I uncovered the mizzen sail today and pulled it up the mast only to discover that the mizzen boom will not clear the new panels that I have attached to the top of the biminy. What a mess! I now have solar power but, as a result, I can’t use the rear sail. Well, I could lower the biminy top (not a good option), or raise the boom. Yesterday, I unbolted the boom from the mast and moved it up the mast an inch so that it will clear the front of the panels. Tomorrow, I'll cut about 4 inches off from the mizzen sail in a thin pie shaped wedge so that I can raise the rear end of the boom, then, it will clear the back of the panels. This situation really demonstrates the unintended consequences that occur when you change one thing on a boat, that change often affects many other things in turn.

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling.
    First it was changing the refrigeration to 12 volt.
    Then changing the bimini.
    Then raising the main boom.
    Then adding the solar panels.
    Then having the sail re-cut.

    Costs a lot to "go green"!
    But worth every cent!

    ReplyDelete