Sunday, October 31, 2010

Windlass problems

Many years ago, I purchased a Maxwell windlass for the Goose and I thought that I had bought a top notch windlass. Over the few years that I’ve had it I’ve had to replace one of the bearings in the worm gear because they used a bearing that was a bit too ‘wimpy’ (if you were to ask me) and now another is bad in the motor. A few days ago I had some problems with the windlass and I went to take a look at it and found that when it was run the motor housing would rotate CW/CCW! this is a bad thing. When I took the motor apart (as Anna steered the boat down the ICW) I found that the motor, (built in Italy) stinks. There is no locking stud built into the case like American motors have and so the case broke loose from the mounting plate. They used a little stamped area as a locking device and it simply sheared off the light aluminum casting on the mounting plate. What a disappointment to see such piss poor engineering on a highly rated windlass. I had to drill and tap 3 locking screws into the motor case to prevent the case from rotating. Oh, and I did call Maxwell to complain and haven’t heard a thing back from them.



2 comments:

  1. You should write a letter. You could probably do it through their website. Then you should post reviews online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally talked to their service rep who had never heard of this problem. I told him that I would send pictures of the problem and my repairs.

    ReplyDelete