Saturday, October 16, 2010

Washington

Yesterday, our dinghy light committed suicide by leaping overboard. I threw a life ring after it but, alas, it couldn’t swim and now it sleeps with the fishes. The DC maritime police take a dim view when you run your dinghy at night without a light so, I rode out to the nearest “big box” store, a Home Depot, to buy another one. We use one of their $3 solar walkway lights for our dinghy light. The ride was about 6 miles each way so I biked to it through the DC neighborhoods. Lots of very nice neighborhoods and also a few that weren’t so good. I came across the “home” of a homeless person who keep his area under the 4th street bridge very tidy right down to his shoes lined up and a copy of the bible on his ‘bed’. In a town that displays such wealth it’s hard to understand how we can ignore such misery before our eyes. I suppose that if you’re in your car listening to the radio, enjoying a latte and driving by at 40 MPH it isn’t too difficult.



It's cheep but it works!

1 comment:

  1. Rich! You took pictures of his house? Was he there?

    Also... when I wrote an article about biking in Austin, one of the guys I interviewed kept saying that you learn more about your neighborhoods by biking than you ever would in a car, with the windows up and the radio on...

    ReplyDelete