Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Deck leaks 2

The trouble is that Walden’s had no teak so I’ve substituted a Brazilian hard wood that is use for decking on houses as a replacement board. It has the same properties as teak IE: very low shrinkage, rot resistant and it contains natural oils within the wood. Walden’s let me use their table saw to shape the new deck board and I then used hand planes, saws and chisels to do the final shaping. To install the board, I put a coat of thinned epoxy into the area. Thinned epoxy will capillary into rot just in case I missed any when I was cutting out the bad wood. I then followed this with a coat of thicken epoxy to bed the new board in place. The next morning, I pounded a bit of cotton around the edge of the repair (thank you for the yarn Anna) and filled in the grove with rubber calk. Just in time too for it began to rain again within the next few hours! As you can see the final results aren’t too bad for having limited tools to work with.

Dry fit, looks good


1 comment: