Saturday, October 16, 2010

Propane





When I rebuilt the Snow Goose I needed a location to store propane. The previous owner had a tank stored on the back deck and it looked awful. I didn’t want that and I didn’t want to have steel tanks because of the rust problems so when West Marine gave me a great deal on a 10lb aluminum tank I bought one and the year after that, I bought another one. Then, the price of aluminum tanks became ridiculous so I have never purchased another tank. I wanted 3 tanks though so, I built a teak deck locker that would hold 3 - 10lb propane tanks (even though I only had 2 tanks) I figured that someday I’d run across another 10lb tank. This deck locker not only provided a place for the tanks but it doubles as a convenient place to store small sail handling gear and is our step stool for reaching the main sail and gives me a place to sit while Anna cuts my hair. I still needed another propane tank so, when they started to produce tanks make out of fiberglass I jumped on the net and bought one. This new tank is partially transparent (so that you can see the level of propane remaining) and it doesn’t rust or corrode! It’s as light as aluminum and it fit (with a bit of trimming) into the locker! Now we have 3 tanks and over 3 months of propane. If the aluminum tanks ever go bad I will definitely buy more of these fiberglass ones. They’re a great idea that I fully endorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment