Thursday, October 14, 2010

Davits

As you have seen, the davits are installed and work excellently! They not only hold the dinghy at a better height but give it a bit more room too. They compliment the back of the Goose a lot better than the old scrap 2x4 davits did and they will hold more weight than the wooden ones did. I built attachment devices to lock the davits to the rear rail. They are just two pieces of 3x4 inch SS flat stock that I bent a pipe shape into the middle of. By turning them 90deg.to each other and drilling 4 holes in the corners I was able to lock the two perpendicular pipes together. A simple $5.00 solution to a $90.00 answer (if I had purchased them).
Here’s how they mounted to the rail and how I mounted the end of the davit tube to the back of the boat. The pair of block and tackle that we use to lift the dinghy I picked up at a marine swap for $10.00 (with the rope) so, the entire cost to replace the davits was about $275.00.



1 comment: