Saturday, November 6, 2010

Another bad day

(I wrote this a few days ago but didn't have any connection to post it with.)

This morning, the engine just quit! It has never just quit. After checking it out I found that it had air in the fuel lines. I have NO idea where the air could have come from but it was there. I checked out all of the lines and connection points and still, nothing wrong. After bleeding the fuel system the engine ran great and has continued to operate well all day.

But wait,,, there’s more! They say that bad things come in three’s, if so, than we have just had our third one. This morning when we went to pull up anchor, we couldn’t. The chain had wrapped itself around something on the bottom and nothing that we did could break it loose. After 3 hours I gave up and cut the chain. What a bummer. Oh, and did I mention that I lost my glasses over board too?

It’s times like this when 3 major things go wrong, seemingly at once, that you begin to question the wisdom of continuing onward and cruising in general. I have to say though, that Anna has put up with all of these calamities and my efforts to repair the ever escalating cascade of maintenance problems like a trooper. When I’m down she encourages me, feeds me and keeps me going. When she’s down and sure that the entire boat is about to sink I reassure her. Together, we cheer each other up and try to look at the big picture. We have weathered a busted mast, engine troubles and the loss of our main (and best) anchor yet, the Goose is still able to sail, there’s coffee in the morning and we are still look forward to heading south and the islands. Edie though, is looking a bit worried.

1 comment:

  1. There is truth in the set of three's. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the sunrise! Lew had a 3 event... car wasn't repaired in one day as promised but took 4... freezer up and quit... next surgery almost was cancelled. The next day all these things were attended to... well almost. The freezer just died again, but we know the problem and SALT will be back in the morning - OR ELSE!!! Hang in there, both of you.

    ReplyDelete