Wednesday, August 4, 2010

New Davits-1

I know...What are davits?
They are the devices that you use to haul and store your dinghy out of the water with and they’re normally mount on the rear of your boat. When we left the Great Lakes (over a year ago) I built a pair of, 2 X 4 wooden davits on the back of the boat to hold the dinghy. They were a, “temporary” addition to the Goose and were only meant to last for the 2 month trip down the river system. These temporary davits have become permanent since they’re great for lifting the dinghy out of the water at night (so that barnacles can’t grow on the bottom) and to carry the dinghy when we are making short inland runs. We looked at different sets of “real” davits to replace them with but the cost of real davits runs from a low of $1000 to a high of $2000! So, being who I am, I decided that I could build a set of my own. First the design. I decided to take two different designs and combine them to make a simple davit that would be strong enough to work yet be simple enough for me to build. Here’s the preliminary drawing, now all I need is some tubing! Stay tuned!
This will be another multi part Blog so check back to see how the project is coming along.

3 comments:

  1. I like the drawing! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you have come off vacation and got to work. I thought I was going to have to leave the porch swing and start my life again! What happened about the river boat?

    ReplyDelete