Sunday, August 8, 2010

New Davits-3

I made the stand offs between the two main tubes by cutting the tubing to the proper distance and “squishing” the ends of the tube together in a vice. This is not the normal method of doing 90 deg joints in piping. The normal method of attaching one tube to another is to “fish mouth” the end of a tube but this requires a special tool to cut the ends of a tube into a perfect ½ circle so that it will fit completely over another tube (like a saddle fits on a horse). I don’t have this tool so, I just squished the end of the tube together in a vice until the end was oval. This oval shaped end made the process of fitting the stand offs in place much simpler. It also provided a good weld area for strength. I ground off all of these stand offs until I had a good tight fit. Then, I put the clamps on the finished product. The end result (from 5 feet away) looked just like store bought. Now, it’s off to the welder.

1 comment: