Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Keeping busy

Dec, 2015

I’ve been down here in the Stuart area for the last 4 weeks and have gotten to know the area pretty well. All of the back roads to bike on and the business to go to. The thrift stores, flea markets, road side stands of fruits and vegetables not to mention the different bakeries and Mexican food trucks in the area. Most of my days are taken up with trying to get the varnish back in shape on the Snow Goose. I let it go too long and many areas have gone bad on the masts, dodger and cockpit. This entails the removal of the bad area and then the slow build up of coat after coat of varnish to achieve the ‘required thickness’ of 12 to 20 coats of varnish to protect the wood from the sun. Which means endless trips up the mast. I use a 4 part pulley system to pull myself up with. That way I'm only trying to pull 40 lbs. up the mast instead of my full weight.

Partway up the mast

Notice the pulley system that I use to pull myself up the mast?

No comments:

Post a Comment