Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What to do?

 
Among the many things that have to be done to an older sailboat (besides varnish work) is the upkeep of the sails and canvas covers. Almost 20 years back now, I purchased a Sailrite sewing machine for the boat and over the years it has paid for itself many times.
Repairing the main sail
During our sail down from NC this year we were in some pretty strong weather… 20 to 25 kts with gusts to 30. It was no fun. During the course of that never ending night both sails ended up with minor damage. Most people would have to take them to a sail repair shop but I just got out my old Sailrite and set it up on the kitchen table to repair the sails. While I was at It, I also re-stitch some of the sail covers. (the sun will destroy the thread in the stitching over the years). The main sail needed a leading edge grommet repair and several of the slides stitched back on.

A new slide stitched into place
If you ever plan to live on and travel on a sailboat and if you have the room, then I’d suggest a good sewing machine is in your future!

No comments:

Post a Comment