Thursday, December 10, 2015

New dinghy

 
As the date for our departure loomed brightly in front of us I was troubled by the choice of a dinghy that we were taking with us. Last year Anna had purchased a Walker Bay 10. Which in subsequent use had turned out to be a bit "tender" (if you'll pardon the pun) and I didn't want to take it. 2 days before we were to leave we had a used dinghy offered to us. 


the ropes are holding the glue job together
OK, it’s not new. In fact the first thing that I had to do was repair it. (So, what’s new?) It’s a cast off from a boat that I did a lot of work on at Deaton’s and the owner gave it to us. (Thank you Fordyce!) Just in time too since I had just cut up our old inflatable and tossed it into the trash. I guess that God looks out for fools and sailors, I just don’t know which category I fall into… maybe both!
old dinghy and good riddance!
On another note, on the way down from the Chesapeake we were using the mizzen staysail and it ripped apart. I tried to repair it but the tear was to extensive and the fabric was just to old. I called and checked many sites on the internet that sell used sails and no one had any mizzen staysails. Then the next day we got a call back from a place in Fl. They just had a person bring in a used mizzen staysail that was about the right size! So, the Goose now has a new (used) sail. Just hope that it lasts as long as the old one did.

Notice the date on the old sail ? It was built in 1958!
 We're headed off shore for the next bit. Should be in Fl. in 6 days or so. See ya there!

No comments:

Post a Comment