Saturday, February 16, 2013

Outboard repairs


 
My mighty mite outboard, the 2.5 HP Suzuki that we use to power the dinghy around developed a crack in the lower plastic housing. I called the dealer (just in time) and found out that I had 2 weeks left on the warranty so, they ordered up another cover and I told them that I’d pick it up when I sailed by.

 

 

 By the time that we got there the mechanic was out on another job so I replaced the cover myself. It was a bit of a job since you had to disassemble the engine and then remove the engine from the drive leg just to be able to remove the lower cover from the unit.



New cover going on the engine and ready to re-assemble the little beast.
 


I’m always glad that I have a mechanical background when little jobs like this occur. I have a hard time believing that anyone can become a cruiser without a bit of mechanical skill for (as I’ve found out) cruising is “the art of repairing things in exotic locations”.

No comments:

Post a Comment