Sunday, September 25, 2011

Appalachian Trail

On our way down to the boat we stopped off at the Appalachian Train mid-point in Harpers Ferry WV. Anna left me there and I started a 3 day, 45 mile shakedown hike of the trail.
I headed south towards the infamous “rollercoaster” section of the trail. It’s a 13 mile long series of ups and downs over very rocky terrain.
Occasionally there were breaks in the forest where you could see out over the valley but for the most part it was just a rocky trail that went up and down.


On the 2nd day it began to rain. I just walked in it.
I stayed in trail shelters along the way and also tried out my new tent (which worked out excellently).


The food wasn’t the best but after walking 18 miles it tasted great.

By the time the 3 days were over, the trail had about killed my knees and feet. I hope to get back to the trail again before winter hits to give the gear another good shakedown before my step off date next March.

No comments:

Post a Comment