Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sail repairs

Sometime, I am going to learn the wisdom of the old adage “a stitch in time saves nine”. Several days ago when we were sailing up the coast, I went to pull up the main sail and it stuck. I had forgotten to untie one of the sail ties. In the process of yanking harder to get the sail up I broke one of the plastic sail slides that hold the foot of the sail in place. Well, the next day when I should have repaired it I didn’t and after the next sail (in high winds) we had 2 of slides broken. Again I should have repaired them but I didn’t. After two more sails 7 out of the 12 had snapped apart. So today, I had to re-sew on 7 sail slides instead of one because of my laziness. In my case a stitch in time might have saved seven.

The first picture shows the removal of the old slide.

The next shows a broken one next to a new one and the last is how I sew them on.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, had that happen once, and ours "un-zipped", just like a zipper, all the way up the mast!!! Man, I hate when that happens. Had fewer left than those that came apart! BTW, where are you now?

    ReplyDelete