Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ginger Part II, “What have I gotten into”?


Well, after looking at all of the trouble spots that I could find on the initial inspection of Ginger I started disassembly of the boat. The entire interior of the boat came out first which revealed layers of dry/oily crud covering the interior of the boat with patches of mold and rot here and there as well. Then the real hard stuff started with the removal of the main bulkheads, cabin sides and the cockpit. What a job. As the interior came apart I found more cracked ribs and major issues at the garboards and stem assembly. Everything had to be removed carefully in case I could reuse it or in case I needed it as a template when building a new part. I also pulled up all of the canvas deck covering and I found a note left behind by the previous boat repair man in 1972 that noted the date of the canvas replacement and a short statement that said “We lost our ass on this job”… I guess they bid the job too low and wanted to let the next guy know about it. Over all, It was a slow, labor intensive job.


Next we start in on the repairs.

 
Removal of the SB bulkhead

Interior removed and both of the bulkheads removed

Next, the cabin side (which has rot) is taken off

Looks funny without any side!

Then the old cockpit floor comes out and about 100 nails had to be pulled

Ta Da !!!

This was an interesting find, a previous boat builder left a date when the deck was last re-covered. I found it when I pulled up the old canvous deck cover.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed that you did not set Ginger up on a roll around rack, your shop is going to be tied up at least 2 years. I assume that you will be using the highest grades of quartersawn oak and cedar and brass or stainless fittings. The engine needs to at least 65hp so that you will be able to ski behind. A few years ago I meet a man here in Decatur that had an E scow, he has a picture pulling a skier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one sick man! Alas, due to financial constrains, ginger got rebuilt on the cheep.

    ReplyDelete