Sunday, June 2, 2013

Holes in the hull

well, it took 2 horriable long filthy days of work but the centerboard riser is replaced. I found about 5 places in the old one that were either rusted thru or almost rusted thru. I'm glad thay it's done.
This is what was there, notic all of the rust stains?

I took a hammer and punch to the metal and found that I could punch right thru the thin steel.

I had just cut the riser away from the boat and found that it was nothing but rust inside.

The captain is NOT happy

The new riser is already welded together and sitting in place while I fit in the last part into place.

All welded up and painted ready for the kitchen wall to be put back together.

2 comments:

  1. Well that went a lot better than I thought it would. I was under the (mistaken) impression that the holes were in a "well" that the swing keel was pulled up into. Now I understand the swing keel is pulled up into the main keel and this is the cable well from the keel to the winch. Did you replace the cable? So now everything is done and you can go back to the lakehouse and sit on the deck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's done but it was 2 long days of hell. And yes, I'm back in Michigan and was out on the deck watching a swan glide by on the lake.

    ReplyDelete