Sunday, April 21, 2013

Grounded


We made it back to Deaton's marine but not before one last little bit of trouble and more things breaking. While negotiating the shallows around the Bouge Inlet I ran the boat hard aground (of course the tide was going out). It was a good solid grounding and I had to get the dingy down and the motor installed so I could kedge out an anchor.

 Well, the small rope that holds the drain plug to the dinghy broke (almost lost the plug), then the shackle release pin to the dinghy lifting pulley broke so I couldn't release the dinghy from the lifting davits. I swear, at that moment if one more thing had given way I’d have taken the Goose out and sunk her. 

 We got her off the bottom just as Towboat US arrived. (ruined their day). This year has been one long, maintenance filled winter and I think that both Snow Goose and myself need some down time. 

 And for anyone that interested about motoring up the coast from Fl, it took about 100 hr at the wheel and about 75 gallons of fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment