Saturday, April 13, 2013

Disaster strikes again


Catchy title to a blog post.

The short story, we lost the back mast.

 


The long story. With a very strong following wind and an out going tide we approached the Crescent Beach bridge. The bridge tender told us to “keep it coming he would have the bridge open for us but one of the spans is down for repair and only the west span would be opened”. Well, he didn’t open it in time and I didn’t judge our speed properly and the current set us to the right at the last minute since I had slowed us down because the bridge opened late. The result was a near miss for the front mast but I caught a wire of the aft mast on the bridge and it tore the mast apart. Needless to say I was not happy. I pulled the mast back to gether and the next day. I “free hand” climbed the mast and rigged ropes to stabilize it for the rest of the trip up north.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to here this. I've had very little experience with currents ( they can bee very tricky )
    and none with a deep draft vessel and a single open lift span. You do have experience with this situation, and get it repaired in +/- 2 weeks of hard work, besides you needed to revarnish it.
    Then again you could turn the SG inti a sloop.

    ReplyDelete