Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gear for the AT

It’s been awhile since I posted anything, sorry to all. Life down in boot Key Harbor has been very busy. There is always something to do (socially) or something that needs to be done on the boat or I’m a bit tuckered out from my 9 mile walk every morning (with a full weight pack). I will be increasing the number of posts about hiking and less about sailing as the weeks go by. So, let’s start with my pack.


My Pack, is an “Osprey” brand and on the small size. I bought it small on purpose to keep me from being able to carry a lot of stuff. I’m trying to convert my hiking style to the ‘hike light’ philosophy. I’m shooting for pack that weights 18 lbs without water or food(about what a kid might lug to school). If you include them then the total weight (for 4 days of hiking) reaches 28 lbs. It’s a daunting task to pare down everything that you need for the next 6 months to just 18 lbs. The 18 Lbs. includes all of the gear to go from the tail end of winter to summer and back to late fall again. As of last Friday when I hiked up to the Public’s store and used their scales the weight was at a fraction under 18 lbs… so far, a success! Here’s what I have in the pack.

1 comment: