Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fish

I went for a walk today and found fish!

This is the time of season for the mackerel to be running and 500 feet away from where we are anchored is this small dock where the fishing boats deliver their catch. It’s nothing special to look at, just a small dock with Christmas lights.

As I got closer I saw fish being unloaded and huge hoppers of ice so, I walk over to see what was going on.


Then they started up a conveyor and fish went flying through the air, landing in large plastic tubs. Every once in a while, they would shovel another scoop of ice over the fish.


I asked the man where the fish were going and he told me that these fish were heading to New Jersey. He also told me that in the next few months they would be processing about ½ to 1 million pounds of fish through his little dock. An impressive operating for its size. It just goes to show that you never know what you might find during a walk on shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment