Thursday, December 2, 2010

A coffee table

A boat is an ever evolving object. As you can see from this blog the Snow Goose isn’t ever going to be finished, there will always be just “one more thing” to do to her before she is completely done. This little project is something that I’ve been thinking about for the last 2 years. It’s a simple addition to the boat but working with nothing but hand tools while anchored out made it a bit of a challenge. When we are motoring along the “ditch” it’s nice to have a cup of tea now and then but the Goose has nowhere to put a cup down that is both level and within reach of the driver’s seat. I've taken to setting it on the panel but it's an invitation for disaster.

I decided to building a little swing up table for my cup of tea or a sandwich. I had some left over wood from a previous project so I cut off a small piece.

Then I took a bit of trim that was laying around and cut a rabbit joint in it (hard to do holding it in your hand and sawing while holding the wood over the side to keep the mess outside of the boat).
You can see the results.

Here’s the new table with its fiddle held in place. Now, all I have to do is buy some hinges and attach it. Not the best quality but it should work!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! And with just hand tools.. you ARE the man!!
    And where are you now?

    ReplyDelete