Saturday, April 4, 2015

Captains report

Well folks, I’ve went and done it.

The owner of this marina asked me if I would like to become an operator of their ‘Tow-boat U.S.’ boat that they have.  Deaton Marine runs the local franchise for Tow Boat U.S. and John asked if I’d like to take a week of sevice calls for the Franchise. I replied "sounds like fun!" The only hitch is that I would have to get my USCG Captain’s license. They agreed to pay for the cost of the course so I signed up for the next set of weekend classes at World Wide Marine Training.

Where I spent a month of weekends

For the next 4 weekends I sat and took notes about the different types of lights on ships, sound signals in fog, how to plot courses, take a 3 point fix and hundreds of other bits of knowledge that a captain needs to know. Then, after 5 tests, a CPR/first responders course, mandatory drug testing, another physical, going to another city to obtain a Home Land Security “Twic” card, 3 personal references from friends and a detailed list of all of my time on the water for the last 20 years… I was left with a pile of paperwork that stood over a 3/8 inch high! It’s amazing that anyone can become a captain when you have to jump through so many hoops to become one. Oh, did I mention the cost? Never mind, I don’t want to embarrass myself. Anyway, the entire packet has been sent off to the USCG for approval and in a month or so I should find out if I’ll officially be granted a Captain license or not. Stay tuned!
 
 
 

1 comment: