Sunday, September 8, 2013

The last job


 
This summer has been filled with contracting work and now that September is here I’m finally doing the last job, rebuilding a brick wall under a bay window. The home owner must be scraping the bottom of the barrel as far a brick layers go in hiring me but I told him that I’d give it my best shot. The wall had been open at the top for several years and we didn’t know what we would find behind the wall once we tore it down. Luckily, when it came apart, the water damage was minimal and it only required a new inner OSB wall to be installed. After cleaning the good serviceable bricks, I went to work building a new wall. We decided to change the style of the wall a bit by making it a continuous curve instead of 5 segments and we had a bit of trouble finding exact replacement bricks so, the look of the wall is slightly different than original. Everything  went well with rebuilding the new wall and with the addition of the top sill, the wall was completed .Overall, it looks pretty good… I’d say this is a “25 foot” wall, that is, it looks great if your more than 25 feet away! The best thing is that it’s solid and should last for many years to come.

The top of the sill had fallen off and the top course of brick was also falling off.

Behind the brick was water soaked fiber board.

I replaced the fiber board with OSB
Half of the wall is done

Ta Da! 

The top sill is in place, Not quite professional level work but I think, better than amature work.

2 comments:

  1. You better be carefull, if this kind of work gets known, you won't get to go south for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that, I've had to turn down offers of work. I tell ya, this 'retirement' stuff ain't as easy as they make it out to be!

    ReplyDelete