Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pump problems




Old impeller

New impeller
Maintenance on a boat is a constant thing and Murphy’s Law (if it can go wrong, it will go wrong) always prevails. This last week I had a good example of Murphy’s law when it came up and bite me on the butt. Up in the Everglades I noticed that the sound of the exhaust was a bit different and that I had reduced water flow out of the engine (an indication that your water pump isn't working right). I thought that I had changed the raw water pump impeller this last year but, alas, it was 2 years ago and one of the vanes had ripped off, jammed in the way and proceeded to rip off 5 others which clogged up the water runs reducing the water flow and heating up the engine. The real pain in the butt came when I had to disassemble the oil cooler to remove the missing rubber vanes from the impeller. 8 hours later (yes, count em, 8 hours) I finally had all of the missing parts accounted for and the engine running again. Lesson learned, keep up on preventive maintenance!

2 comments:

  1. Well it does appear you have been using your engine
    too much, I seem to remember that you have a sailboat! Then again if you use it it WILL fail
    sooner than if you don't use it. So maybe the Snowgoose would last longer if it were up on stands,
    but sure would not be as much FUN !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a point there Danny, Maybe I should talk Anna into letting me put up those sails a bit more often.

    ReplyDelete