Thursday, October 4, 2012

I’m sure you have noticed that I’ve haven’t put anything on the blog for the last 2 months. Well, that’s because after I lost part of my middle finger I found that it was really hard to type with only 2 fingers.
(this picture is really fantastic, I was missing part of my finger and it has grown back!)

Anyway, my ring finger is back in action so I thought that I’d give the blog a try again. Lots of things have been happening over the summer, we got the Lake House repaired enough to move into it. At the start of the summer, the list seemed endless but, we got a lot of work done and have made the house livable. We have just scratched the surface on all of the changes that we want to do to the Lake House it's just going to take a long time to get it all done. We are on a 5 year plan, and the first year is to make the house livable. Year two, jack up the sagging floors!
The house sits on a small hill and has rock walls on the hillsides that form terraces for gardening. I've rebuilt this section of wall which was falling down.

We replaced the Jetta wagon that we bought last year with … ready for this? A 20 yr old Geo Metro which we named “Rusty” (for a good reason). After working on it for about 3 weeks I brought it back to life and now have a car that rattles going down the road but gets about 45 to 50 mpg. Not to bad for 20 yr old technology. Why can’t they build a basic car that gets this kind of mpg today?
Rusty, before and after shots.

The summer has rushed by and we had a lot of company here at the lake. It seemed that every time it got above 90 deg some grand kid wanted to come and spend the night with us. Go figure… While on the topic of grand children we just received our latest Great grand child I think that this one makes enough for 3 full base ball teams!


The vegetable garden was a success and we are still getting veggies out of it. The tomatoes are fantastic! Anna's flower garden also turned out great with some of the biggest flowers that I've ever seen.
We heat with wood here and I’ve split up about 3 cords of wood to see us thru this fall and when we return next spring. About the only thing that we lack is a fast Internet service since we refuse to pay the outrages cost of the local Comcast. Maybe next year. I’ve also taken on several contracting jobs so the cruising kitty is starting to look good again. We plan to try for the Bahamas this winter. I hope to see some of you down there!
Laying cement and building door panels for another contract.

The fall has really set in with the trees turning brilliant colors this fall. I think that the drought we had this summer has contributed to the intense colors this fall.
A stunning as it is though, the cool nights are beginning to push my spirit south towards the Snow Goose. It’s been a fantastic summer but I’m looking forward to going home again and we will be heading south in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment