Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Exciting afternoon

A storm front was approaching the small bay that we are anchored in so I put out another anchor and increased the scope on our main anchor. Beside of us a small 22 foot sailboat from Michigan was anchored and as the wind came up he began to drag. He tossed over another anchor and still was dragging but now he was fast approaching the mangroves so I had Anna hand me our back anchor and the 120 foot of rope that we keep with it and headed off to help him… and just in time for he was almost to the mangroves.
The trip back heading into 3 foot waves and a strong wind almost flipped the dinghy.


When I got back to the Goose, we watched as the boat anchored across the bay dragged all the way across (about ¼ mile) right towards us! Back in the dinghy and over to their boat I went only to find nobody was home.
I climbed up, went forward and dropped their second anchor. When I got back to the dinghy I found that it had flipped over! You know what they say… no good deed goes unpunished. So, I flipped it back upright and spent the next 10 minutes trying to get the engine to start as I watched the dinghy paddles slowly get blown away. Finally, the engine caught and it was a mad race to find the paddles before the rest of the storm hit. With Anna’s help (she saw them float by the Goose) I found them and headed back to the boat cold, soaking wet but happy.

After the storm passed, we had a great sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment