Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bikes


It’s been about 9 years (or more) since I worked at West Marine and during that time I took advantage of the “employee discount”. Every week I routinely spent more than I earned. One day the Manager tried to talk me into buying 2 fold up bikes that were discontinued. I balked! I planned to walk to any place that I needed to go, but, the price was right and I finally gave in. Afterwards, they sat on a shelf in the barn for the next 5 years until I built a place for them on the Goose. Now, they lie hidden away until time and location afford us the luxury to get them out and then suddenly, we have freedom. Most people (while driving) regard a mile as very little distance but, when you have to walk it carrying things, then a mile becomes 5280 very long feet! It can sometimes take 25 minutes or more to walk one mile. With our bikes though, it’s an effortless 5 minute ride. During this week, we have been to the hardware store 5 times, (4 miles one way). The auto parts store twice, (3 miles). Across the bay, (7miles) and many other places that we would never have gone simply because transportation is so easy and fun. I wouldn’t say that a bike is a necessity but, for us, they have turned out to be a real time saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment